The Auckland Hospital ‘Central’ Laboratory 1897-1950
When John Buchanan was appointed to the position of Assistant Haematologist in the Auckland Hospital Laboratory in 1964, the high standard of work and fine spirit of the staff aroused his curiosity about earlier times. This book is the result. It traces the first 50 years of the Auckland Hospital Laboratory from the days when a series of part- time pathologists held the fort until Dr Walter Gilmour arrived in 1920. By the 1930s and 40s the demand for laboratory services soon expanded beyond post- mortems, histological diagnoses on surgical specimens, and bacteriological testing. Two world wars and leaps in scientific developments meant pathology was expanding into new fields of clinical biochemistry, haematology and serology. By 1950 the laboratory was the academic heart of Auckland Hospital.
This survey is enriched by many photographs, and interviews of staff who highlight the innovative ethos and collegial fun that they shared.
The Auckland Hospital ‘Central’ Laboratory: 1897-1950 Author and Publisher: John Buchanan
240 x 170mm | 237 pages | History | Picture gallery| Reminiscences of former staff | Index of names
Published June 2019
ISBN: Paperback - 978-0-473-48187-2
($51 including postage within New Zealand) Payment